Ebooks are a fantastic content marketing tool to acquire new leads and convert existing prospects. Marketers utilize them as a way to deeply connect with their target audience. Ebooks educate customers, generate leads, and gain traction.
This marketing tool goes further than a blog post because they contain more in-depth information and value. Marketers need to know how to create an ebook and supporting cross-channel promotional campaign to drive and nurture leads.
Creating an ebook can be tricky because there are many components necessary to attract customers. Here’s a six step framework you can follow to create and promote a successful ebook.
Strategically Create the Ebook
- Content Outline – Create an outline of content that will engage customers.
- First Draft of Copy – Based on the outline, write a first draft of the content.
- Ebook Design – After seeing the first draft of copy, design the ebook. This will help ensure your designer thinks about all the visual elements need to support the copy.
- Final Draft of Copy – While the designer is working with the first draft of copy to create the design, edit the copy and provide the writer with revisions.
- Final Draft of Copy in Design – With the final copy approved, lay it out in the design to ensure the two work together.
Build a Landing Page
- Select Design or Template – Select a landing page design or a template from a previous campaign.
- Write Content – Bring the ebook to life on the landing page and draw your audience in with clear messaging about the value of the ebook content.
- ESP Form – Create a form in your Email Service Provider to embed in the landing page. This will add new contacts who download the ebook to your mailing list.
- Thank You Email – Write a standard, automated email to send to landing page visitors who download the ebook.
- Landing Page Images – Create visual elements for the landing page the help show the value of the ebook.
- Code Landing Page – After the design is complete, code the landing page.
- Test Landing Page – Before pushing the page live or promoting it, make sure your team takes time to test the landing page functionality.
Create an Email Nurture Track
- Map out Track Flow – After you acquire a new lead who download the ebook, how will you nurture them? Outline a nurture track series to move them on or out.
- Write Copy – No matter how many emails in the nurture track, it is a best practice to write the copy for each together. This ensures the tone, voice and flow are consistent.
- Create Email Design Elements – Design images and/or graphics for each email
Build Nurture Track in ESP – Build the nurture track logic into your Email Service Provider account.
Promote the Ebook on Your Website
- Create Website Banner – If you plan to promote the ebook on your main website, create a banner image to call attention to the new content piece. This banner can link to the ebook landing page.
- Blog Banner – Create a banner to promote the ebook with relevant blog posts
Promotional Copy – Place a copy for anywhere else on your website where you might want to call out the ebook.Activate the Ebook with Your Internal Team
- Announce to Employees – Tell your employees about the new ebook so they can promote it to their networks. Post it on the company’s intranet, email them or even share it on a flyer in the break room.
- Write Employee Social Posts – Empower your employees to really tell their social networks about the ebook. Write suggested social posts for them to share on their personal accounts.
- Update Key Stakeholders – Let your key stakeholders know about the ebook. This can include board members, investors, customers and industry colleagues.
- Develop a Cross-Channel Promotion Plan
- Email Signature – Promote the ebook and link to the landing page from your employees’ email signatures. Sigstr is a great tool for this.
- Blog Post – Tease the ebook content with a blog post.
- Paid Media – Promote the ebook and landing page in ads.
There are many elements to creating and promoting an ebook. A successful ebook contains drafted content, a landing page, email nurture track, and a well-developed cross channel promotion plan. Need an extra set of hands to get it all done? Request a demo and we’ll show you how Torchlite can fill gaps on your team with on-demand vetted experts. Just need to know what to do? Activate this ebook template for free in Torchlite.
Get the latest digital marketing tips & insights delivered straight to your inbox with the Torchlite email newsletter.Subscribe Now